The Fort Bragg Schools' community is composed of six elementary schools (grades pre-K-5), two primary school (grades pre-K-2), an intermediate school (grades 3 -5) and two middle schools (grades 6-8). Students in grades 9-12 attend Cumberland County or Harnett County Schools. Current enrollment for the Fort Bragg Schools' community is approximately 5230 students.
Primary (grades Pre-K-2) and Elementary (grades Pre-K-5) Schools
Bowley Elementary School was established in 1953 as the first permanent school on base. The school was named for General Albert J. Bowley. In 1921 the War Department decided to abandon Camp Bragg. This effort was averted by the determined efforts of General Bowley, Commanding General of Camp Bragg. One year later, September 30, 1922, Camp Bragg became Fort Bragg, a permanent Army post. The present site of the school was part of a golf course and when the school opened, school lunches sold for 25 cents per day. The school, the Primary School, later named Bowley School, opened with 22 classrooms. A new facility, located on fifteen acres and behind the old Bowley School, opened in August 1989.
Butner Elementary was named for General Henry W. Butner, born in Pinnacle, N.C., 6 April 1875 and graduated from the Military Academy in 1898. He served in various capacities at posts at home and abroad until 1918 when he sailed for France with the A.E.F. During his service on the Western front, Butner took part in operations at St. Mihiel and Meuse Argonne. Returning to the United States , he commanded Field Artillery School at Fort Sill , Okla. , 1920 to 1923, commanded a detachment of the Philippine Scouts; and served in various capacities until appointed Commanding General, Panama Canal Department, in 1936. Major General Butner died 13 March 1937 in Washington , D.C.
Devers Elementary School is named after Jacob L. Devers who is best remembered for his command of the 6th Army Group in Europe during World War II. From 1940 -1941, he commanded the 9th Infantry Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. General Devers died in 1979. His widow, Mrs. Devers, took part the dedication ceremony in 1996 when Devers Elementary was formally opened.
Gordon Elementary School is named in honor of Gary Ivan Gordon, one of 18 U.S. Army Special Forces troops killed in a firefight with militiamen in Mogadishu, Somalia, in October 1993. He distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty, while serving as Sniper Team Leader, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger.
Gary Gordon was born in Lincoln, Maine, in 1960. He graduated from Mattanawcook Academy in 1978 and joined the U.S. Army at age 17. Friends and colleagues remember Gary Gordon for his extraordinary heroism and as a gentle husband and father who filled notebooks with stories for his two young children.
Holbrook Elementary School was named in honor of General Lucius R. Holbrook who was born in Arkansas, Wisconsin in 1875. General Holbrook organized the first training school for army bakers and cooks in 1907. He wrote the first cook's manual for the army in 1911. He invented the army field oven. In World War I he was assigned to the 7th Field Artillery unit, which fired the first artillery shell used in launching our assault against the Germans in France. He commanded Camp Bragg from May - July, 1919 and August, 1929 to October 1930. At that time, Camp Bragg was the largest Field Artillery post in the United States Army.
Murray Primary School was named in honor of Major General Maxwell Murray, the first commander of Camp Bragg from September 16, 1918 to May 15, 1919. Construction of then Camp Bragg began at the same time General Murray took command. He also served at Fort Bragg as a member of the Field Artillery Board from May 1932 until May 1936.
General Murray retired in 1946 after serving over forty-one years in the Army. He died August 4, 1948.
Pope Elementary School is named in memory of First Lieutenant Harley Halbert Pope who was killed on January 7, 1919, when the Curtiss JN-4 Jenny he was flying crashed near the Cape Fear River . On April 5, 1919, the landing field was named Pope Field in honor of First Lieutenant Harley H. Pope.
Pope Field became Pope AFB with the creation of the Air Force in 1947. With the Base Realignment and Closure law enacted by Congress in 2011, Pope returned to its roots again becoming Pope Army Air Field and managed by Fort Bragg.
Along with its sister middle school, Shughart Elementary School is named in honor of Sergeant First Class Randall D. Shughart, United States Army, who distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as a Sniper Team Member, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia.
SFC Shughart was born August 13, 1958 in Newville, Pennsylvania and was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously in recognition of his extraordinary heroism and saving the life of a downed Blackhawk helicopter pilot.
Irwin School was named in memory of Lieutenant General Stafford LeRoy Irwin, who served as Post Commander of Fort Bragg from July 11, 1946 to October 31, 1948. General Irwin retired from the Army in 1952 with thirty-seven years of service.
This school was named in memory of 1Lt Kenneth H. Albritton and a plaque displayed in the main entrance hallway states, ôLt Albritton was a native of Fayetteville, North Carolina who attended the Fort Bragg Schools. While serving as an Infantry officer in the Republic of Vietnam, he was mortally wounded. Lt. Albritton was awarded the Silver Star posthumously for gallantry in action against a hostile force. One of the many, one of our own, Lt Albritton served our nation proudly in Vietnam.
Albrittonhas changed from from its previous designation as a Junior High School to a Middle School.
Along with its sister elementary school, Shughart Middle School is named in honor of Sergeant First Class Randall D. Shughart, United States Army, who distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as a Sniper Team Member, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia.
SFC Shughart was born August 13, 1958 in Newville, Pennsylvania and was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously in recognition of his extraordinary heroism and saving the life of a downed Blackhawk Helicopter pilot.